Carrot Cake for Mother’s Day
Trying to find something special to give your mother or important lady in your life this Mother’s Day? Why not make a healthy version of a classic favorite, Carrot Cake! Check out this carrot cake recipe with coconut oil:
Recipe and Pictures courtesy of: The Big Man's World
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ cup certified gluten free oat flour
- ¼ cup vanilla protein powder (optional)*
- ¼ cup Natvia natural sweetener (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 T cinnamon
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 T coconut oil, melted (+ coconut oil to grease the pan)
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 large carrots, grated
- ½- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 355 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9 x 9 inch loaf pan generously with coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well. In a small bowl, combine the egg, coconut oil and Greek yogurt and mix until combined.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix well. Stir through the grated carrots and chopped walnuts until fully incorporated.
- Pour mixture into the greased loaf pan (or baking dish) and bake in the oven for 40- 45 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Test the cake by inserting a skewer or knife in the very centre and ensuring it comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack before slicing