Sugar scrub is my hands down favorite skincare product for a healthy head-to-toe glow. Used both for treatment and maintenance, your skin will benefit from an exfoliating ritual with this sweet treat that combines some of natures perfect pairings. Read on to learn more about sugar scrubs and
how to use them on your face, body, lips and even scalp.
What is a Sugar Scrub?
There are many ways to mechanically (physically) scrub or exfoliate the skin. Combining emollient(s) like coconut oil with sugar crystals creates a dense mixture that can be massaged into the skin to remove environmental pollutants, make up, excess oil and loosen spent surface skin cells.
Why Use a Body Sugar Scrub?
Exfoliating the skin helps reveal a fresher more radiant complexion by stimulating circulation and encouraging new skin cell growth, but that’s not all. Sugar scrubs not only lift impurities, their ingredients provide additional benefits. I love the combination of certified organic coconut oil and raw sugar crystals like those found in in Organic Fiji Whole Body Sugar Scrub. The medium chain fatty acids, triglycerides, essential minerals, and vitamins along with the moisture grabbing humectant properties of sugar will leave your skin moisturized, hydrated, revitalized and nourished.
Skin that is dull, flakey, dehydrated, suffering from product build up, and recovering from multiple skin conditions can benefit from using a sugar scrub.
How to Use a Sugar Scrub?
Incorporating a sugar scrub exfoliation or polish into your bathing and cleansing routine comes with some recommendations.
- Choose a product made with simple, effective ingredients that are appropriate for your skin type and condition.
- Begin with freshly cleansed skin with a gentle, non-irritating product, such as Organic Fiji Face and Body Soap variety of your choice.
- Scoop out a small amount of sugar scrub and work it into the palm of your hand allowing for a smooth blend of all ingredients. Apply sugar scrub to your skin and gently work it into your skin in a polishing motion. The sugar will start to breakdown as it dissolves.
- Be careful not to over-exfoliate as this can cause irritation and/or micro tears in the skin leading to inflammation or skin dryness. How much exfoliation you’ll need depends on area of the skin you exfoliate, the amount of pressure you apply and your personal experience. Always begin with a light touch. If you have sensitive skin, I recommend doing a patch test on your inner arm and waiting 48 hours for a reaction.
- When applying to the face, I like to dissolve the sugar a bit more and leave it on my skin for about 5 minutes for additional skin benefits
- When doing a lip polish, I like to use my ring finger which has the right amount of pressure to lift and remove chapped skin.
- Areas that are prone to dryness such as heels, knees and elbows may need more pressure and time to achieve the appropriate exfoliation.
- Rinse well and pat dry.
- Follow with a moisturizer such as Organic Fiji Face and Body Lotion Lately, I am using the Coconut Lime version for its’ exceptional ability to seal in moisture and its refreshing scent.
- Apply a physical SPF when and where appropriate.
- Applying a coconut oil sugar scrub prior to shampooing hair will help loosen and reduce product build-up, exfoliate flakey skin and help with maintaining the scalp pH. Read on to learn about the added benefits of Organic Fiji’s essential oil infused options.
How Often Should You Use a Sugar Polish?
How often you exfoliate depends upon your skin resilience and sensitivity. As we age, our skin cell turnover is drastically diminished, making the need for exfoliation greater. Finding the right balance of exfoliation is a personal preference and depends on your skin’s response. Personally, I exfoliate every-other-day, while some people exfoliate very infrequently. Once I saw the difference exfoliating made in my complexion and skin health, I stepped up the time I spent polishing. It is truly one of my not-so-guilty pleasure.
When is the Best Time for a Sugar Scrub Ritual
- When prepping for an event, exfoliating is a must for a more flawless makeup application.
- Enhance the effect of skin masks and products with regular skin polishing. Removing the tired skin cells will improve penetration of skin care ingredients, allowing them to perform to their fullest extent.
- When combating the effect of sun damage, doing a sugar scrub can help reduce the appearance of dark spots (melasma) by shedding the top layer of skin that has built up a deeper hue.
- To help with fine lines and wrinkles, doing a sugar scrub brings much needed blood flow to areas of stagnation while plumping the skin like a skin primer. The result is a smoother skin surface.
- A regular body polish can help deplete and mask the appearance of cellulite. The massage and stimulation of the sugar crystals helps with lymphatic flow. Work in an upward fashion and into areas of lymphatic drainage.
- Scarring can be reduced with routine exfoliation especially if it is done in a gentle fashion once the skin build integrity. Reducing skin cell build up will help lighten the appearance of the skin in the area of scaring and will help stimulate and hasten the healing process.
- For those prone to acne, the polishing effect will reduce the skin cell build up that traps oil, dirt and debris. While the use of coconut oil in acneic skin is the subject of debate, consider that the anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties of a coconut sugar scrub combats irritation and redness while helping to fight acne by reducing bacteria.
- Regular exfoliation in the areas of shaving and waxing can help reduce the occurrence of ingrown hairs by preventing hair entrapment and curling under spent skin cells.
- Upgrade the appeal of your tattoos with a sugar scrub. Removing dull, spent skin cells will bring new vibrance to your body art; making images pop, the way the artist intended
Organic Fiji Whole Body Sugar Scrub Offerings
The dynamic fusion of raw virgin cold pressed certified organic coconut oil and sugar cane crystals deliver all the powerful benefits of time-tested skin renewing exfoliation. Enjoy this sweet treat in variety of offerings to suit your preference, skin condition and needs:
Fragrance Free – Perfect for those who have fragrance and allergy concerns and want all the benefits of a simple, thoughtful coconut and sugar whip. Gentle enough to use on little ones to target fungal infections such as cradle cap and eczema.
Lavender – Calm both body and mind with this relaxing essential oil infused sugar scrub that quells skin inflammation.
Lemongrass Tangerine – Refresh, tone and purify the skin with this spa inspiring blend of uplifting essential oils in a sugary coconut oil emulsion.
Pineapple Coconut – Enhance your skins vitality with this island inspired vitamin C packed evocative polish.
Coconut Lime – This exotic citrus creation combines all the benefits ofvitamin C and antioxidants together in a sensory sensation.
Seeing is Believing
Beginning a regular exfoliation routine is truly a game-changer when it comes to upping your skin care routine. The noticeable benefits of gentle exfoliation with mindful products can greatly improve the health of your skin. Unclog pores, improve skin care product performance, clear breakouts, boost skin cell turnover, stimulate collagen synthesis and enjoy smoother, softer skin with this beautifully simple yet indulgent exfoliation ritual.
Integrating coconut oil body products into your natural skin care routine is more than a product choice, it’s an ancient ritual steeped in deep, island history. Learn more about exfoliating with coconut oil infused organic scrubs.
Organic Fiji is a female and Pacific Islander owned boutique brand that creates organic body care products, based in California.
Organic Fiji’s artisan products have been USDA Certified Organic by Oregon Tilth since 2007 and are vegan, cruelty-free, eco-friendly and ethically created. You can also be assured that Organic Fiji products are free of GMOs, PEGs, parabens, phthalates, sulfates, artificial colors, synthetic fragrances, harsh ingredients or toxic chemicals.
A brand that believes in product transparency over ‘green-washing’ and are real people on the other end of the phone and email. Click here to contact Organic Fiji.