How much do you know about exfoliating?
What is exfoliating?
verb. (of a material) come apart or be shed from a surface in scales or layers.
The word exfoliate when referring to skin describes the removal of dead skin cells from the skin’s surface. Manual exfoliation is usually performed by rubbing textured substances on the skin in a circular motion, eliminating the buildup of dead skin cells. (Exfoliation can also be done with various chemical treatments, however, here at Organic Fiji we highly recommend choosing an organic skin care regime over one that will leave you vulnerable to dangerous ingredients). Enjoy all the benefits of the Earth’s natural gifts, choose organic, natural and pure skin care.
Why is it important to exfoliate?
Your skin is the largest organ on your body. You need to take care of it and pay attention to it just as you would the rest of your body. Experts report that exfoliation is at the very heart of great skin. It is an irreplaceable step in your health and beauty routine, along with cleansing and moisturizing. A ‘Women’s Health’ wellness resource states “as we age, the process of cell regeneration slows down. This means that the body is slower to shed skin cells and generate new ones. When old skin cells start to pile up on the surface of the skin, it can leave skin looking dull, rough, and dry. Furthermore, the build-up of dead skin cells can result in excess oil and clogged pores, leading to blemishes and acne. Proper exfoliation removes the barrier of dead skin cells clogging the skin and uncovers fresh new cells below. This opens the way for moisturizing products to penetrate more deeply into the skin, which makes them more effective. In short, a regular exfoliating routine will leave your skin looking fresh and healthy”.
Exfoliation is great for all skin types, but in particular it will generously benefit those with an oily skin condition. In the case of oily skin, desquamation (which is the shedding of the skin) can be slowed as the excess oil can act as a cement that hinders the natural shedding of skin cells. This can lead to clogged follicles, causing the build-up of acne bacteria which encourages skin breakouts. ‘Dermalogica’ skin care professionals explains that “In addition to smoothing, improving skin tone and enhancing skin’s receptiveness of oil-controlling ingredients, exfoliation helps rid oily skin of dulling skin cells to help keep skin clear”. If you are prone to acne, some gentle and organic exfoliation can be a wondrous way to naturally achieve clear skin.
Daron Hope, inventor of the herbal skin care line ‘Earthtonic’s, trusts in the importance and necessity of exfoliation for face as well as body, “When the face is gently exfoliated, it stimulates the outer dermal layers to regenerate more quickly,” says Hope. “Not to mention the instant gratification of a smoother, more even-toned complexion.” Faster regeneration of skin cells means a younger looking you. Regular exfoliating can achieve anti aging results and keep your skin youthful and radiant.
As well as general health and happiness, exfoliation is also good for things like artificial tanning, natural tanning, shaving and anti-aging. Tracy Worthington, owner of ‘Ooohlala’ of Beverly Hills states that “by exfoliating, you are removing those dead skin cells from the top layer, revealing the smoother skin below”. This can give you a closer shave, provide a smoother base for makeup, provide a more even surface for self-tan, give you a more effective starting point for natural tanning and also powerfully promote anti-aging. Not only do anti-aging and moisturizing ingredients in skin care products penetrate deeper after exfoliation, (making them a lot more effective), but polishing the skin also reveals the newer skin cells hiding below the surface. Get ready to reveal a healthier, younger looking, brighter and fresher you!
Can you exfoliate with Organic Fiji products?
Yes! Organic Fiji offers a fantastic range of organic exfoliating products. Our Organic Fiji Sugar Scrub is a great way to exfoliate your skin, keeping it healthy and looking amazing. Our sugar body polish is made with certified, organic, virgin coconut oil and pure, cane sugar. This is available in four tantalizing fragrances including: Pineapple Coconut, Lavender, Lemongrass Tangerine and Fragrance Free. We also have a unique Coral Sea Salt scrub, made with certified organic, virgin coconut oil, 9 other natural essential oils and Coral Sea Salt. Both are excellent ways to kick off your exfoliating regime! The smooth, round granules will exfoliate your skin, without hurting or damaging it, like some rougher, jagged substances might.
The best thing about the Organic Fiji exfoliating options are that they are all made with mother Earth’s natural moisturizer, healer and gift…. Coconut oil! The cold pressed, organic coconut oil we use works quickly to quench and treat the skin as you are getting rid of dead skin cells.
Coconut oil is one of the only skin care ingredients that actually unclogs pores, pushing out any dirt and impurities that cause skin problems. Clearing away those unwelcome skin cells breaks way for the extra virgin coconut oil to work its magic. The coconut oil will moisturize, soften, purify and heal your skin, treating any dry patches, skin problems or pore issues you may have. You’ll be left with fresh, healthy, glowing skin.
Organic coconut oil can successfully treat a multitude of skin problems including: eczema, acne, psoriasis, cellulite, athlete’s foot and many, many more. Due to its natural anti-oxidants it can help the skin repair itself from free radicals and other factors of aging. In addition, the oil has natural anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties to help shield the skin. A natural wonder!
Give one of Organic Fiji’s exfoliating agents a try to experience your own personal luxurious spa treatment at home. We use the purest of ingredients and never compromise on performance. The best exfoliator your body could ask for!
How to exfoliate
Manually exfoliating is easy and can be therapeutic. The best time to do it is in the shower or bath. A light touch is all you need to slough off dead skin cells. More pressure than this may irritate your skin and cause damage.
Thorough and gentle is the best approach. Get ready to give yourself a homemade spa exfoliating experience!
Note: When using Organic Fiji’s natural exfoliating scrubs, your product
must be 76 degrees or warmer to be liquefied. If it is cooler than this the coconut oil will be solid. This is completely normal. Click here for easy tips on how
· Cleanse your skin with warm water before start your natural exfoliation. This will remove any surface elements whilst opening up your pores.
· Take some of the face and body scrub in your hands and gently rub onto your skin in a circular motion.
· Once you have covered one portion of skin, move onto the next, do not over exfoliate one area.
· Once you have exfoliated the desired area, wash off with warm water. As you rinse, your skin will be shedding its unwanted surface layer, its dirt, grime and any other elements that your pores have pushed out.
· You are now left with clean, healthy and glowing skin!
· The virgin coconut oil that is left on your skin (when using Organic Fiji products) will get straight to work moisturizing, healing and renewing your skin. A double act that is impossible to beat! Your body will thank you for this indulgent facial and body exfoliating treatment.
Experts suggest implementing an exfoliating treatment between 1-3 times a week, but it will depend on your skin type and personal preferences. All products and skin types are very diverse. Over exfoliating can harm your skin, If your skin becomes sensitive or irritated, try exfoliating a little less often.
Testimonials from Organic Fiji customers:
Looking for the best face or body exfoliator on the market?
Looking for a natural body scrub to satisfy your needs?
Check out what other people are saying about Organic Fiji’s Sugar Polish and Coral Sea Salt Scrub…
- Thank you so much. Your sugar scrubs have also been great during this winter season. I have to apply most lotions twice a day to keep them from looking dry but if I use the sugar scrub in the morning while I shower, I don’t have to worry about my skin for the rest of the day and my skin still looks amazing the next day!
- 5 Stars!!! I cannot express how much I love this scrub. I opened the tub and breathed in, and it was like being in Hawaii on a beach. The warm oil and soft scrub polished my skin so well it glowed the entire day. The texture of the sugar is so fine, it doesn’t feel abrasive like other scrubs. I cannot say enough good things about this scrub, I don’t think I will ever use another.
- I began using Organic Fiji products around two months ago, and hand on heart, I now appear to be rid of 99% of this condition. I’m not sure which of your products in particular has worked its magic, I would guess, a mixture of them all. I opted to go fragrance free; I use the sugar scrub once a week, which I think works wonders since keratosis is a buildup of protein on the skin, and so reacts well to exfoliation; I use the soap daily, I apply the oil once a day after showering, and I apply the lotion once a day before going to bed. Research suggests there is no cure for keratosis. However, my case proves otherwise. I think this serves as an excellent example of just how effective a high quality natural skin care range can be. We probably cause ourselves these problems in the first place by using products that are packed with chemicals and other harmful ingredients.
- I am so relieved to have been introduced to the Organic Fiji range; I am getting married next year, and until discovering your products, I was desperate to have clear smooth arms. Now, I have just that! A huge thank you!
- We (my two daughters and myself) have been using Organic Fiji sugar scrubs for a month now. I bought a Lavender, Lemongrass Tangerine and a Fragrance Free. We all got our own scrub. What I love about the scrub is after you use it in the shower and lightly towel off, there really is no need to apply lotion and your skin feels great! Both of my daughters, one is 17 the other is 22, who have tried many scrubs in the past, Organic Fiji is definitely their favorite. My oldest daughter has been battling acne for quite some time. She started using the Lemongrass Tangerine scrub and her skin has gone from dry/pimply to an incredible smooth face with most of the acne scars gone! Her friends have noticed a difference in her face and they all want to buy Organic Fiji Scrubs!
· I am a grateful fan of Organic Fiji Products! I have spent many years trying what seems like every soap, lotion, scrub on the market and once I found your products I knew I could remain forever faithful and end my search for the perfect body care line! Every winter I normally suffer from painfully dry, cracked skin. Since I’ve discovered your soaps, lotions, and scrubs I have not suffered from the pain, irritation, or ugly cracked skin in any season or climate change. I recently discovered Organic Fiji’s sugar scrubs and am completely addicted! I won’t take a shower without it! It exfoliates my skin, while moisturizing, and after I rinse the sugar off, the remaining oil serves as a great shaving cream! Your products are also my favorite gift to give to both men and women of any age. The response has always been the same no matter what, they love the scent, the feel, and the results! Thank you for keeping my skin young, beautiful and smelling great!
· My most favorite is the Organic Fiji’s sugar scrub. Not only does it exfoliate it keeps my skin so soft. My husband always tells me I have the softest skin. I am definitely hooked on Organic Fiji Products and what a great gift it makes.