A natural energy boost without the crash
For those in pursuit of an energy boost on those drowsy days, skip the sugar loaded energy drinks and choose a natural alternative.
Explore the benefits of coconut oil for energy with us as we look at how our bodies process it, what the benefits are, what type of coconut oil is best and how to consume it.
Coconut oil for energy - how does it work?
A unique molecular structure
Coconut oil has a very unique molecular structure and fatty acid content. It can encourage your body to burn through fat and produce rapid energy naturally. Coconut oil is made up of over 90% saturated fats. But coconut oil’s saturated fats are individual and not the same as other dietary fats (such as animal fats).
Medium chain fatty acids
Over half of the fats in coconut oil’s makeup are medium chain fatty acids, such as lauric acid and its byproduct monolaurin. Both lauric acid and monolaurin can kill harmful pathogens, which are organisms such as bacteria, viruses and fungi, that cause disease. Coconut oil boasts the highest natural source of lauric acid, after a mother’s breast milk. Both natural and valuable sources of anti-microbial qualities that can boost your immune system.
A Brazilian study into the dietary benefits of coconut oil explains that “unlike long chain fatty acids, these medium chain fatty acids and monoglycerides are absorbed intact from the small intestine, and do not undergo degradation and re-esterification processes. They are directly used in the body to produce energy, and widely used in infant formulas, nutritional drinks for athletes and intravenous lipid infusions.”
A natural source of energy
“The fats in coconut can create a metabolism boost while supplying instant energy” explains nutrition coach and dietician Mary Trenda of the National Healthcare Corp.
When you consume medium chain fatty acids they usually travel directly to your liver, where your body utilizes them to balance blood sugars, as a rapid source of natural energy or to turn into ketones – a type of acid that gets sent into your bloodstream to your muscles and tissues for fuel.
Ketones also have valuable benefits for your brain too. Researchers are looking into studying ketones as a treatment for epilepsy, Alzheimer’s disease, and other conditions.
Benefits of choosing coconut oil for energy
Choosing a high-quality coconut oil for energy has many benefits:
- Coconut oil comes without the crash: the energy boost after consuming coconut oil is not like the high-powered kick you get after drinking coffee, it’s a subtle increase that is longer lasting, promoting higher endurance.
- Coconut oil doesn’t have added sugars, toxic ingredients, additives or other synthetics: look for certified organic, raw and cold-pressed coconut oil! Ditch the caffeinated drinks and look to nature for a boost.
- Coconut oil is also known to speed up metabolism and aid weight loss: coconut oil could assist weight loss by increasing the number of calories your body burns compared with longer chain fatty acids in other oils. It can also reduce appetite with these medium chain fatty acids, producing ketones which can decrease hunger.
- Coconut oil is also known to assist heart health: coconut oil can increase HDL (good cholesterol) and turn LDN (bad cholesterol) into a less harmful formation, boosting heart health and metabolic health.
- Coconut oil is also known to fight off bacteria: coconut oil has antimicrobial properties due to its lauric acid content and monolaurin production – naturally killing harmful pathogens like bacteria and fungi
- Coconut oil is also known as a superfood: and can encourage skin, hair and whole-body benefits from the inside out!
- Coconut oil is also known to improve the function of other superfood ingredients: many of which are oil soluble and can’t be absorbed efficiently by the body without a molecular structure like coconut oil’s to bond with.
It’s important to note here that not all coconut oil is created equal. the type of coconut oil you consume is directly relevant to how many benefits you will enjoy. Learn more about the benefits of cooking with coconut oil.
How to consume coconut oil for energy
There are lots of deliciously creative ways to consume coconut oil for energy boosts. Check out our guide to cooking with coconut oil. Our favorite way to use coconut oil for energy is to add a dash to a fruit filled smoothie in the morning. A natural energy boosting tropical treat!
Island Vibes Superfood smoothie:
Try this recipe for a superfood smoothie packed full of island vibes next time you want a sustainable energy boost that increases metabolism. You’ll enjoy an appetite-curbing start to your day and natural immune system support. The addition of coconut oil for energy will also help the nutrients of all the other wondrous plant-based ingredients absorb into your body efficiently!
- 1 tablespoon of raw, organic coconut oil
- 1 organic frozen banana
- 1 organic date
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen organic pineapple
- 0.5 cup of fresh organic kale
- 0.5 tablespoon of organic chia seeds
- 1-1.5 cups of organic coconut water / spring water
- Blend coconut oil, kale, date and water together until smooth
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth
- Sprinkle with hemp seeds and coconut flakes for an optional decorative topper
- Pour and enjoy!
- For best results follow with your favorite method of exercise and plenty of water
How to choose the type of coconut for energy
When coconut oil reaches your palette at its highest-integrity, it not only brings you the best taste, it also safeguards its unique molecular structure and holistic benefits until it can release them into your body’s ecosystem. Not all coconut oil is created equally, therefore the scope of whole body advantages when consuming coconut oil decreases as the quality of the oil does. Harness the power of your food, exactly how nature intended.
Organic Fiji offers a raw culinary coconut oil that has been USDA Certified Organic by Oregon Tilth. This means that you are not only getting a final product that has been regulated and its claims verified, but you are also supporting the product journey. Ethical practices, traceability and transparency matter – they allow you to vote with your dollar for the type of product and industry you want to experience.
When choosing culinary coconut for energy, look for these important standards:
Organic Fiji’s Original Culinary Coconut Oil is USDA Certified Organic for the ultimate, clean, island inspired culinary experience. Cook, bake, spread, blend and stir with this raw, cold-pressed, vegan butter-alternative oil.
It has an award-winning, smooth and nutty taste that is undeniably delicious and is packed full of nutritional benefits too. A known super-food that is said to have a valuably high fatty-acid content, boost heart health, burn fat cells, have antimicrobial properties, raise HDL levels (the good cholesterol), improve brain function, balance glucose, assist Ayurvedic oil pulling rituals and so much more!
This traditional, organic, raw Coconut Oil for cooking is the foundation of family recipes and wellness rituals in the South Pacific and many other parts of the world.
Choosing to consume coconut oil for energy, and wellness rituals in general, is more than a product choice, it’s an ancient ritual steeped in deep, island history.
Organic Fiji is a female and Pacific Islander owned boutique brand that creates organic body care products, based in California.
Organic Fiji’s artisan products have been USDA Certified Organic by Oregon Tilth since 2007 and are vegan, cruelty-free, eco-friendly and ethically created. You can also be assured that Organic Fiji products are free of GMOs, PEGs, parabens, phthalates, sulfates, artificial colors, synthetic fragrances, harsh ingredients or toxic chemicals.
A brand that believes in product transparency over ‘green-washing’ and are real people on the other end of the phone and email. Click here to contact Organic Fiji.