Do I need to liquefy coconut oil?
True organic, raw coconut oil solidifies if it falls below 76 °F or 24 °C.
If your organic coconut oil is solid, do not fear! It’s still in perfect condition. It has not gone bad. Solidified coconut oil is completely normal. In fact, it is extremely rare to ever see truly organic coconut oil that will not solidify under 76 degrees. If your organic coconut oil is cold and in a liquid state, there is probably another ingredient mixed in with it.
Coconut oil can be used on your skin, body or hair in either a solid state or a liquefied state. The beneficial qualities of the oil stay the same, so it comes down to personal preference.
Do not liquefy coconut oil by microwaving
Despite what some claim online, it is not recommended to use a microwave to liquefy coconut oil. You only need to bring coconut oil to a warm 76 °F or 24 °C to enjoy its liquid state.
When you heat your coconut oil to high temperatures, you lose its unique health and wellness benefits that come from its molecular structure. Organic, raw coconut oil encompasses anti-viral, anti-thrombotic, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties that can be lost with high heat.
These properties make raw coconut oil so much more than just an insanely nourishing moisturizer that hydrates skin and hair, they are also the reason it is such a multi functional healer too.
David E. Hintenlang, associate professor nuclear and radiological engineering, explains that “microwave ovens cook food by generating intermolecular friction between the molecules of the food. The microwaves cause water molecules to vibrate; the increased friction between the molecules results in heat.”
Organic Fiji uses a cold press method to extract organic, raw, extra virgin coconut oil. Cold pressing helps preserve the integrity of the oil and all its authentic capabilities by involving no external application of heat.
How to liquefy coconut oil
If your organic, raw coconut oil is in a solid state, there are many quick and easy ways to liquefy it. The goal is to gently warm the oil to around 76 °F or 24 °C without overheating it. Here are a few handy tips to get you started:
Liquefy coconut oil at home
- In the shower: put the jar of coconut oil on the shower floor and let the hot water and the steam warm up the bottle. The coconut oil will be liquefied in minutes and ready to use as a whole body moisturizer while pores are clean and open.
- In the bath: float the jar in your bath water and the coconut oil will warm up in minutes, ready to provide you with a luxuriously hydrating and healing soak.
- In the sink: not using your coconut oil in the shower or bath? Put some warm water in a bowl or the sink, and float the jar of coconut oil in the water. It will be ready to use for all your household wellness remedies in minutes.
- With a device: it sounds crazy, but one of our favorite ways to warm coconut oil on cold days is with a lizard warmer! It will slowly rise temperatures to gradually melt your coconut oil without destroying it’s valuable structure.
- In a sun trap: liquefy coconut oil by finding a sun soaked corner (like a window sill for example) in the house to place your jar.
- Near something hot: place your container near (but not in/on) something hot to liquefy coconut oil. An oven, a heater or a radiator for example.
Liquefy coconut oil on the go
You might be on the go when you realize that you need to liquefy your coconut oil.
- Use your body heat: cup the jar in your hands and let the warmth of your skin bring the coconut oil’s temperature up. The smaller the container the quicker this works.
- In the car: place the jar in a supported area of your car (like a cup holder for example) on a warm beach day and it will quickly melt, ready to hydrate your sun kissed and sea salted skin.
The Fijian Way
Maari, a Fijian native, reminisces about her family making coconut oil in her village when she was young.
“The coconut was sacred to our culture, we made use of every part of it, specially the oil and curd. We never refrigerated or cooked the oil before using it, we just scooped it out from large vats into pottery jars and from the jars we would melt it into our skin and hair.
We are lucky to have warm temperatures on our island so it usually stayed in a liquid state. But don’t go changing it – it’s just too good the way it is!”.
The authentically best way to liquefy coconut oil is the Fijian way – with your touch! Scoop the coconut oil with your hand and it will liquefy to the touch of your warm skin.
The Research Behind our Claims
Dr. Bruce Fife, certified nutritionist and naturopathic physician, explains why organic coconut oil turns into a solid state.
“ The melting point of coconut and other oils is determined by the fatty acid content. The triglycerides in coconut oil consist of a mixture of 10 different fatty acids. Each fatty acid has its own melting point. Saturated fatty acids have a higher melting point than monounsaturated fatty acids, and monounsaturated fatty acids have a higher melting point than polyunsaturated fatty acids. This is why animal fat, which is highly saturated, is solid at room temperatures and why olive oil (monounsaturated fat) and corn oil (polyunsaturated fat) are liquid at the same temperature. When you put olive oil in the refrigerator, however, it will become solid, but corn oil will remain liquid. In addition to the degree of saturation, the size of the fatty acid also influences the melting point. Fatty acids are composed predominantly of a chain of carbon atoms. The longer the carbon chain, the larger the fatty acid and the higher the melting point. Consequently, long chain fatty acids have a higher melting point than medium or short chain fatty acids” .
Dr Bruce Fife is the author of more than 20 books including The Coconut Oil Miracle.
Using organic, raw coconut oil infused body products is more than a product choice, it’s an ancient ritual steeped in deep, island history.
Organic Fiji is a female and Pacific Islander owned boutique brand that creates organic body care products, based in California.
Organic Fiji’s artisan products have been USDA Certified Organic by Oregon Tilth since 2007 and are vegan, cruelty-free, eco-friendly and ethically created. You can also be assured that Organic Fiji products are free of GMOs, PEGs, parabens, phthalates, sulfates, artificial colors, synthetic fragrances, harsh ingredients or toxic chemicals. A brand that believes in product transparency over ‘green-washing’ and are real people on the other end of the phone and email. Click here to contact Organic Fiji.